What we do
Monthly Seminar Series
Learn about Data Science from accomplished Data Scientists by attending short talks designed for a broad audience.
Click here for the latest seminars
Data Science Competition
Practise Data Science by analyzing data sponsored by companies. Winners get published online and win prizes. This makes for a great resume addition.
Click here for more information
Data Science Job Board
Browse Data Science jobs and post your own Data Scientist profile for other companies to see.
Click here to browse jobs and post your profile
Our goal is to inspire students to learn about and work with data.
From monitoring massive ecosystems like the world economy, down to providing personalized consumer convenience like real time traffic conditions, big data involves and affects nearly every facet of life in the 21 century.
Everybody talks about big data, but only Data Scientists know exactly what big data is. Data Scientists combine their knowledge of Statistics and Computer Programming to extract meaningful insights from otherwise meaningless data. In today's world where data is literally everywhere, companies are facing a major shortage of Data Scientists.
Founded by students at the University of British Columbia (UBC), DataSense realizes the power and potential of data. Our mission is to spread awareness and promote the power of data within student populations in Vancouver. Through participation in our organization, we hope to inspire the next generation of data scientists. Click here to learn more about data science.
Some Data Science "success" stories
- Google maps uses your smartphones to calculate traffic in real-time
- OkCupid uses data to discover which conversations lead to sex on the first date
- YES WE CAN - Obama's campaign used data to better target potential voters
- Netflix uses big data to deliver the perfect advertising campaign for "House of Cards"
Become a member
Why join DataSense?
- Free access to our events - any events and seminars we host will be free for all DataSense members.
- Priority registration - We will send invitations to events by e-mail first. Events may fill up quickly, so if you're not a member, you may not get a spot!
- Free membership - all it takes to join is filling out the form and confirming your email. We use this information to track interest and member count - no spam e-mails ever! The more members we have, the more valuable your membership will become.
- Special perks - we're currently working with cool people to get cool perks for DataSense members (discounts, internships, etc). Stay tuned!